Sunday, November 8, 2009

Scott & Tina

Starting out in wedding photography is sometimes a daunting task. I never thought I'd ever want to shoot weddings. After all I started as a landscape/wildlife photographer, but there was something about weddings that just made me want shoot them.

Now, I'm not the type of photographer that will just become a weekend warrior and advertise that I will shoot someone's wedding, I want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into and make sure I also know what I'm doing. So what did I do?

I became an assistant and second shooter for professional photographers. Now at Scott and Tina's wedding I was a second shooter/assistant for good friend Shelton Muller. Scott is my wife's cousin so that was easy. Becoming a second shooter helps to learn the basics of what you will need to know later when you go out on your own.

The whole experience was a blast, Shelton taught me real quick that unless you're relaxed, comfortable and confident then the bride and groom will sense this and they will not be relaxed, comfortable and confident either, this will show in the photos. So to start with, learn to show confidence on the outside even if the butterflies are going on inside.

Then start to watch how professionals pose the couple, how they use the light that's available and learn from it. Don't worry if you can't shoot to start with, carrying their bag and getting the gear they need in a hurry will earn you more points than trying to shoot your own images.

When you do get the opportunity to start to shoot your own images, don't shoot over your mentors shoulders, try to set up your own images and shoot your own style, you will need this when you start out on your own, and it helps you to develop your own style.

Look through the yellow pages for wedding photographers and send them a little portfolio if you have one and tell them what you would like to do. Don't expect payment for you helping them, do it to learn. If and when you really are an asset to them, then maybe they will pay you for your service.

Again it's a lot easier to learn when it's a family wedding to start with, the photographer will have already met the couple and organized his day, your just a helper that the couple already will feel very comfortable with and it will make the day a lot smoother. So if weddings are something you want to get into, hopefully these couple of little tips will get you started.

Until next time shoot the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment